The Planetoid Community
July 16, 2018, 05:16:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Media Login Register  
NEW FORUMS
***NOTICE***

The Planetoid Community has moved to a new subdomain. These forum boards are locked and no longer active. Please register at the following URL and update your bookmarks:

http://boards.planetoidcommunity.com/

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: End of New Site Demo  (Read 4497 times)
Elmzran
Ham Master
Administrator
Blessed Ham

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:43:17 pm »

With the conclusion of April 1st, I've disabled the test run of our new site. Starting on the 5th, this theme will be permanent and shall artistically represent the nature and purpose of The Community.

In actuality, I believe that this April Fools was a success, thanks to Jalern. Everyjalern give themselves a pat on the back. While everyone attempted to navigate the spinning content of the forum, I spent time working on our new forum boards.

These new boards can be found here: http://boards.planetoidcommunity.com/

By April 5th, I will have closed down the current community forum. Everything will still be viewable, and I'll keep the media uploader enabled, but posting will be fully disabled. A large button leading to the new subdomain will be added to the top of this subdomain.

Here's a quick list of reasons why I prefer the new forums ( using Vanilla Forums ) over the old ones ( Simple Machine Forums ).

1) Responsive, streamlined design. The forums adjust to your window size, which makes them easier to navigate.

2) Mobile version. I have enabled a special mobile theme that makes posting on mobile devices MUCH easier than here on the old forums.

3) Default landing page is recent discussions. Let's be honest. How many of us go into each board and look at the recent discussions? That's something nobody has really done here since 2010. Now, all discussions from every board will be aggregated on the home page. This is different from our "Recent Posts" bar in the sense that it shows ALL of the current active topics ordered by last post, and not just the active topics for the past 35 posts. Categories still exist though, and can be used to filter topics.

4) Easier to customize. Below, in the attachments area, you can see all of the default theme options I am able to choose from. Currently I'm using Spacelab Cyborg. While members unfortunately cannot choose their own theme from this list, I am able to fully customize any aspect of the coloring / fonts / placement of every piece of content on the site. We'll discuss theme modifications later after settling on a default.

5) Topic drafts. All of us are much busier than we were a few years ago. With Vanilla Forums, you can save new topics ( or discussions, as they're called ) as drafts and return to typing them later before posting.

6) Gamification. I've added an Approval / Disapproval system as well as badges for various actions ( post amounts, posting on your birthday, posting this much in a day, etc ) that can give points for ranks. While all of this is indeed superfluous, I feel like it'll help increase activity and interaction.

7) Activity sharing. On your profile, you can post your current thoughts / activities / reminders for yourself. Kinda like a personal blog that is also a feed for your posts/comments and awards.

Cool Live notifications. You don't have to keep refreshing the page to check for new posts. Assuming you haven't been inactive too long, new posts in your topics, new PMs, new awards, and other notifications will appear in the lower left corner of the screen.

9) General notifications. Been off the site for a few days and not sure what's happened? No problem. New posts in your topics, your bookmarked topics, new PMs, or anything that may pertain to you will appear as notifications that are accessible from the top of the site.

10) Bookmarking topics. Is there a topic that interests you? Perhaps this topic pertains to a role play, a competition, or your own story / creation. No problem. Bookmark it, and you can access it again easily from the header bar.

11) Live preview WYSIWYG editor. The text editor I have enabled on the new forums allows for text markup that you can see instantly. Instead of having to click preview to see how your post will look after the BBCode has been processed, you'll be able to see how it looks as soon as you add the markup. The concept is the same as most word processors, like Microsoft Word.

12) Much more. I hope to add spoiler tags, and the poll system allows for multiple poll questions in one topic rather than just one question. There's also a nicer post attachments system for uploading small files.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:04:16 pm by Elmzran » Logged

Jalern
The Great Panzaza!
Quality Bucket
Cancer

Hopes, Dreams and Vitriol

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:55:13 pm »

[Approval/Disapproval system] - Get rid of that shit. We as a mass decree it so.

Also I don't like it because it doesn't have my full inbox.

And it isn't grey and blue.

And I don't like the layout.

And new things are scary and bad.

Overall -1/10 it's worse than bad and that makes it good in a way that makes Fortuna shed a tear.

Edit: give me an invitation code
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:57:33 pm by Jalern » Logged

Carousel.
Elmzran
Ham Master
Administrator
Blessed Ham

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:02:52 pm »

I will once I'm done setting up the site. Registration is disabled until I finish finding plugins / receive a bit more feedback on the current design.

I also need to make the following topics, and they'll have to be well worded compared to my normal posts:

- An informational topic for current members, returning members, and new members. I'll be advertising a bit and sending out info to old past members on rejoining. This does not include Willowleaf.

- A topic containing information on all new features of the new forums.

- A topic for introducing yourself.

- The first "weekly discussion" topic.

Jalern
The Great Panzaza!
Quality Bucket
Cancer

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:04:54 pm »

Jalern topic.

For Jalern.

Every topic is within a subjalern of a jalern topic within the mass of the spectrum within the unbegotten saviour that is what we are named as a mass, Jalern.

Carousel.
Astrangegamer
A Stranger Game
Blessed Ham

Strange, this normal, I don't get it

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:08:00 pm »

We're all jalern, what's there really to discuss about that?

Also on topic:
- are the PMs transferring to this new place?
- is there an equivalent of show unread?
- how is profile information transferring?

- Astrangegamer ([year])
gravybatter
Insignificant man
DaHammer

Power may change hands but a taste of pork lingers

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:10:21 pm »

Not nearly as good as the new site demo was.

http://www.twitch.tv/gravybatter gaming streams, stop on by once in a while.
Jalern
The Great Panzaza!
Quality Bucket
Cancer

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 11:29:46 pm »

Not nearly as good as the new site demo was.
Unfortunately its hard to post when your brain is locked in a catatonic state of absolute pleasure.

Carousel.
Spartan-432
Time traveling Gundam
Blessed Ham

にょろ~ん

pata1993@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:16:11 am »

It doesn't look bad. No complaints here. Feels too empty right now but that's just a matter of time. Will miss this old forum, though, it will take a bit to get used to the new one.

CobaltBlade
Professional tester of all things...
XD

My enemy is The Strange.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 07:51:33 am »

It all looks great on my end.

Elm, do we have to create a new account for the forums?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:12:17 am by CobaltBlade » Logged

To establish  peace... and to destroy the Strange.
Kerlc
Self-righteous Git Extraordinaire
Blessed Ham

Space Kraken

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 09:44:04 am »

Looks lovely.

[Approval/Disapproval system] - Get rid of that shit. We as a mass decree it so.
I concur. Those things are silly.

Quote from: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
This was because reason was in fact out to lunch.
Quote from: anonymous
"We are the middle children of history. Born too late to explore Earth, born too early to explore space."
gravybatter
Insignificant man
DaHammer

Power may change hands but a taste of pork lingers

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:03:00 pm »

I hope to add spoiler tags
This is well to know and good to English.

http://www.twitch.tv/gravybatter gaming streams, stop on by once in a while.
CobaltBlade
Professional tester of all things...
XD

My enemy is The Strange.

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:03 pm »

Nice new update! I liked the blackness of the forums, it goes with the space concept of the game.

To establish  peace... and to destroy the Strange.
karhu05
God of the Vikings and Cake
Cancer

Can Estonia into Nordic?

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 05:30:58 am »

Can we have account data (where possible) transferred over to the new foums?

The official forum baiter.
LOL well at least the Windows 8 version is fine.
I may have cancer, alzheimers' and lack limbs, but at least this chair is comfortable.
So, wait. Your government has a large: "Act like a spoiled brat" button they can press at any time, damaging the entire nation's economy because one of the parties doesn't want a law/something to pass?

Proud owner of a long sig!
I am the head tester of Planetoid Defense.
Elmzran
Ham Master
Administrator
Blessed Ham

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 07:33:53 am »

Can we have account data (where possible) transferred over to the new foums?

I can probably copy over things like original sign up dates, but not too much.

karhu05
God of the Vikings and Cake
Cancer

Can Estonia into Nordic?

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 10:12:18 am »

I STILL haven't received my confirmation email.

The official forum baiter.
LOL well at least the Windows 8 version is fine.
I may have cancer, alzheimers' and lack limbs, but at least this chair is comfortable.
So, wait. Your government has a large: "Act like a spoiled brat" button they can press at any time, damaging the entire nation's economy because one of the parties doesn't want a law/something to pass?

Proud owner of a long sig!
I am the head tester of Planetoid Defense.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Donate to The Planetoid Community
* Arcade
There are no arcade mods installed.