Changes

edited July 2014 in Announcements
I'm going to try keeping this short and without rambling. (okay that didn't happen now that I've written all of this. Excuse any grammatical or spelling errors)

Back in Nov 2009, almost 5 years ago, everything was different. Who I was as a person, my views, my abilities, my experiences, my knowledge, my current circumstances... everything. I'm sure most of us could agree the same thing compared to ourselves 5 years ago, whether or not you have been here since the beginning.

When I acquired the Planetoid 3, I knew little about programming. I could throw something together in GM, but only using Drag & Drop in all sorts of ineffective and counterproductive ways. Through experimenting and reverse engineering, I learned GML, but again, probably not in the most optimal way.

Then I made this place, November 2nd, 2009, as a middle-school 8th grader. A lot happened in the following years. We had many wonderful, fun times, and a few rather horrible drama filled times as well. I started projects, gave up on projects. We had fun on all sorts of servers for Minecraft, OTTD, and Starbound, along with the countless other games you guys played without my moderation. We shared stories and artwork, participated in competitions, discussed all sorts of events and concepts, argued, laughed, joked, left, returned, gamed, chatted, shared, helped, brainstormed, and so on. But yet somehow, despite everyone growing up and changing, most of us are still here.

I want to take this paragraph to apologize for all of my past failures. I truly wish I could have finished most of the projects I started, but that unfortunately didn't happen. There are a ton of reasons for this, and they aren't recurring. P3 didn't happen for different reasons than why GoF didn't happen, and the same applies for the P3NE and other projects. At first it was laziness, since I didn't realize how much free time I truly had. Inexperience also combined with the laziness, as well as my general immaturity. Then it became lack of motivation, when the novelty of the project wore off and its impossible scope finally dawned on me. Later on, such as now, it became lack of actual time, now that I have recently realized how short life truly is and how I simply cannot do everything that I desire before I die. Plus, I keep taking on more and more obligations and my interests keep changing. For all of this, I am sorry. I don't know if you guys view this as wasted time, a learning experience, or just a fun time fucking around and brainstorming ideas. I hope for the latter, but I understand if it's the former.

It's the middle of 2014 now. A lot has changed, in our own lives, here in the community, and in the world at large. Starting around the time I began my job at Barnes & Noble, I underwent some sort of transformation. I used to be socially inept, immature, uncultured, ignorant, and sort of bigoted. I've since developed myself socially, lost all sorts of various social fears and stigmas, listened to lots of music, read a bunch of books, opened my mind, stopped my past cringey behaviors, and essentially left my shell and became the person I am today.

My interests have changed parallel to this personality change. I rarely ever play games anymore. I spend most of my time working, sleeping, or spending time with the people close to me. I'm trying to learn practical programming languages beyond GML, such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and now Python. Not only that, but Urban Exploring has had a MASSIVE effect on me, and greatly contributed to me realizing how fleeting life truly is. Being around all that decay makes one realize that nothing is forever. I've only been doing this for 16 months but damn, it's changed a lot. I could get into the effects of this change in depth if anyone is curious.

I still enjoy Programming, but not Game Programming as much as I used to. I stopped playing games frequently, and I don't play them at all unless I feel like I'm gaining something from playing said game, whether it be an amazing story or a wonderful experience with friends, or just some spectacular unique thing. Gone are the days of me passing time playing games, or sitting around just gaming. I'm not saying such things are bad, but they're no longer for me. I'm spending my time trying to pursue my future, or creating memorable experiences with those around me. Without playing games, it feels weird trying to create them. It's like an author that doesn't read.

College is just around the corner, and that will bring the biggest changes yet. I will have almost zero free time. Any time not spent sleeping, at classes, commuting to classes, or studying will be spent meeting new people, participating in organizations, volunteering, learning something new, reading a novel, exploring and discovering a whole new city, taking risks, challenging myself, and further developing myself as a human being. Everything will be so quick paced, and I'll be spending so little time here or anywhere on the Internet. I want to be involved as much as possible. Networking is key to success. I'm not talking about computer networks, but rather meeting peers and professionals and "networking" by getting to know people, gaining trust, and pursuing various opportunities.

So here's the point of this topic. I cannot make Station Raiders for a long time. I will not be active here at all, probably posting an update on life and replying to maybe a few topics once or twice a week. I may never be on Skype unless it's for some school organization related function. My family and myself will be spending $900 to $1,000 a month JUST for me to live on campus, and that is a lot for us. Money is finally becoming an issue for me, and I'm sorry, but game programming will not pay the bills. I'm not the most creative person out there, nor am I the most lucky. It takes a fuckton of creativity, luck, and good advertising skills to make any survivable income stream from game development. For every successful game, there's a million unsuccessful ones, including things we've tried making. (Note: these projects that never took off or never got popular like PDef weren't wastes of time, they're just not going to help me survive financially someday)

Instead of spending so much time programming a game that will most likely turn out as a flop, I need to spend my time focused on my studies, networking, and majoring in Computer Science. Not only that, but I'll be learning more advanced and practical programming languages. Through all of that, I'll find viable ways to make money and survive on my own. Python is the first step towards that goal. I need to focus on college, and I must prioritize. First priorities are college related, and they will take up 99% of my time. I won't know for sure until college starts, but I have very few doubts about that time percentage. That isn't just classes, but it's everything else I'll be doing while living in Denton. The community is low priority compared to college.

I love all of you. Even If we haven't talked all that much, this place and everyone here have been one of the very, VERY few constants in my life that stayed put while everything else changed. I originally thought about shutting down the community since I won't be a proper leader for at least the next 4 years, but decided against that last night. Whatever happens to this place now is in the hands of its members. I'll try my best to be active, but there won't be any projects, contests, and probably not any game servers hosted by me. Anything that happens here is up to you all. I'll just provide the means for posting and communicating by continuing to pay the web server bills, but I won't have time for much else. Whether you keep this place alive or let it die is up you.

If you want to leave because I have put Station Raiders on hold for an indefinite amount of time, or because I will no longer be involved, then that's your decision. I'm not stopping you. If you want to leave, then I wish you a long and prosperous life.

Who knows, maybe next Summer I'll have a whole team of friends joining the community to help make Station Raiders a reality within just a couple of months. There's a game design club at UNT that I could join, and joining it is a way of getting involved and networking. No promises though, since anything can happen. This topic is the best I can do to prepare you all. I apologize for the rambling.

I move into my dorm August 17th.

tl;dr

• College takes priority over the community.

• 99% of my time will be spent doing college stuff such as studying, sleeping, meeting new people, networking, joining organizations, possibly looking for a new job, MTurk, learning new programming languages, reading books, and exploring / discovering a new city, along with countless other things.

• Station Raiders is on hold. It's not cancelled but I sincerely have no idea when I'll be able to pick it back up.

• I will be very inactive here starting August 17th when I move into my dorm.

• You all are awesome. Stay if you want. Leave if you want. I'm not shutting down the community, but its future is up to you all.

Here is my Facebook and Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/jonathanroosa and https://twitter.com/jonathan_roosa

If you need to contact me, do so through there. Either of those sites would be quick ways to reach me, but the fastest way would be my phone number: 8010708070504060201. Just remove those 0s and you have my number which you can text. For those who are international, I'm pretty sure free online SMS services exists, such as Google Voice.

Again, stay if you want. Leave if you want. The blame for all of the failed projects is on me, and anyone has every right to be mad about P3, GoF, Station Raiders, and so on. Regardless, thanks for an amazing 5 years. Take this as sort of a half-goodbye. From now on, only Ghost Elm will be here.
/(?##~##)/

Comments

• Skimmed it.

The shadow of the tree of knowledge bears no fruit.

I don't know anyone here personally and I never intended to anyway.

Everyone acting like bitchy housewives was [funny/amusing].

I'll be here to use ASG's PM box as a notepad, but that is likely all I will do.

You might notice me on other sites due to my writing style, though I doubt it.
    ➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈
    [7:45 pm] Kerlc: Being a cuck is great'
    Futanari Loli Nazi Succubus Squad ~☆「Sieg Heil」 Your Heart Into Ecstasy!!
    ふたなり・ロリ・ナチス・サキュバス・スクアッド~☆あなたの心をエクスタシーへ「ジークハイル」しよ!
  • And here I am, a socially inept, 18 year old, old man.

Anyway, bye and all that jazz. I think this place will fizzle after awhile but whatevs.
    "I am sorry but if you don't like cake you're literally hitler
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

[3:35:15 AM] Kerlc: they have boobs
    [3:35:18 AM] Kerlc: but they still have 12

[10:00:19 AM] Kerlc: I actually prefer the penetration
    Well, I guess I always knew this would happen eventually. My own activity on this site has already diminished a lot due to things happening in life I cannot ignore, so I'm not surprised it's starting to happen to everyone else.

I rather hope this place doesn't die completely. Checking in to see what other people do and think outside of the few I see in day to day life has always proved interesting.
    I'm quite uncertain of my own future activity levels. Hopefully they'll be rising, though. If things go really well, I might be able to get some more members with programming abilities to join.

I hate seeing the community slowly fade away. We've been doing little public work for the past... Well, forever. Which basically means the current members are all we have for now. We have zero population growth, which means that if a member leaves, we're one less.

If Metalsoul's team succeeds at getting Planetoid 5 out there, that could boost activity significantly. However, that's all uncertain.

I'll keep on managing the admin stuff, moderating and modifying the site in some ways if I deem necessary.
    This is still not our universe.
  • I can easily spend time here since I don't have too many obligations in my life (August 23rd will likely see an influx of less activity from me though, since I'm gonna have a ton of stuff happen in my life at once). Now that the community doesn't have any focus, I will probably increase my posting levels for stuff that may or not be so important.
    "Gas giants don't discriminate. They have gas for everyone." -ASG
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 0
    I actually am still able to spend quite a lot of time around here, the problem is, it's hard to actually find something to say that could be interesting for everyone.

I'm starting my last university year in september, and one of the most important parts of that is the fact that I will have to spent quite a lot of time working on my "Final project work (Trabajo de fin de grado in spanish)" and stuff. But as a matter of fact, I've been working on even bigger papers for the last 3 years and still had time to keep coming here, so I doubt that will make me forget about this place.

Though, unless I can find something to talk about and contribute I guess my activity will still be low.

Now, on Elm's topic, I wish you luck in college, really, a lot of it, it may not look like it, but I've suffered a lot the last 3 years thanks to the boring, inefficient and exhasperating system of my university, classes that didn't exist, teachers that were fired years ago but still appeared as hired, useless seminars. Universities or college commonly have a shitton of internal problems that they don't show to newcomers and you only start to notice after the first vew months, at least here, but well, if you manage to meet a nice group of people, you won't care about any of that, because they will help you and you will end up having a lot of fun no matter what, and will learn at the same time. So, that, I hope I didn't make it sound really bad, but be careful, good luck and I hope you don't have to deal with the same problems I've had to deal in order to properly get to the end of my degree.

So, that, peoples, I don't intend on leaving this place just like that, as a matter of fact, if I can think of any way to be more active here, I'll do it. So, well, that. Good luck, Elm.

EDIT: Also, even if I do end up not coming here again, I'm sure I'l not leave the skype chat room, even if it's not even as active as this place, going there from time to time to just say random stuff is fun and relaxing.
    Thanks everyone. I'll still post every now and then.

For those who don't post much because you feel your topic won't get attention: just post it anyways. Somebody will eventually reply, and it helps potentially facilitate extra discussion.

Thanks for the advice, Spartan. UNT seems to have their shit together, so I'm hoping I won't be stumbling into a hidden bureaucratic mess.

Just post anything really, no matter how silly. It could turn out to be a 100+ post topic.
    /(?##~##)/

On a more serious note, I've been busy elsewhere, though I still find time to check here every now and then.

Also, have fun in college.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao
  • I actually am still able to spend quite a lot of time around here, the problem is, it's hard to actually find something to say that could be interesting for everyone.
    Why do I get the feeling that this the main reason for the community fizzling :|

Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

Or, you know, you can just make a topic about it anyways, even if only you find it interesting.
    /(?##~##)/
  • Easier said than done.

A link and a short description to some interesting article, video, photo, story, etc is pretty easy to do. It's just a matter of doing it.
    /(?##~##)/
  • *read main post before logging in*

Good luck on college. It sounds like it'll be quite busy. I went to college without moving out, so I imagine you'll be a lot more busy than I ever was. Good luck again.

On my general activity, I probably could be more active, but like others, I am not sure what to post about. It's also not just 'I don't think this would be interesting.' but also 'I don't have much material'. I can think of some nonsensical items, but I'll see if I can find more items of sensical substance.
    I actually am still able to spend quite a lot of time around here, the problem is, it's hard to actually find something to say that could be interesting for everyone.

Why do I get the feeling that this the main reason for the community fizzling :|

I suspected similarly, but I'm not very sure.
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.
  • Guess I may start talking about summer stuff and what I've been drawing lately xD May get to writing again just to show something here.
  • Well I'll be back at my house on the 25th, so I can show some of the pics I took on my trip.
    "Gas giants don't discriminate. They have gas for everyone." -ASG
    I've recently gotten KSP .24

It is amazing.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao