We Need to do Something

It's been forever since we, as a community, last did something. In fact, it'll soon be a year since PDef. Any ideas?

Perhaps a small, simple game, twine story, or a game server? Perhaps another OTTD or Minecraft server, or some other cheap / easy to acquire game. Or a competition, such as that FTL competition I mentioned earlier.

Something, so this place doesn't fade away.
/(?##~##)/

Comments

• edited April 2014 Posts: 0
    Yep, saying this place isn't dieing is, now, like saying the sun isn't going to set. But forcing an activity down people's throat isn't going to stop that.

It's just going to slow down the inevitable.

No but seriously, that FTL competition sounds like a good idea.
    "I am sorry but if you don't like cake you're literally hitler
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

[3:35:15 AM] Kerlc: they have boobs
    [3:35:18 AM] Kerlc: but they still have 12

[10:00:19 AM] Kerlc: I actually prefer the penetration
  • I'm sort of in the mood for minecraft, though I'd get bored of it in a week I'm sure.

Even if we did start something I have little faith in our ability to finish it. Though you could argue that the process is the fun part, I'd tell you to shove the process back up your ass because of my obstinate glory.

If the community wishes to die, I have no qualms in letting it do so. But even if it does die, we can always tear apart the violated corpse and make a living monument to its putrescence out of the remains.

I've only really been here because of my project with ASG, but since he's busy having a life I have little left here but some mediocre memories and an in-joke about our true mass.
    ➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈
    [7:45 pm] Kerlc: Being a cuck is great'
    Futanari Loli Nazi Succubus Squad ~☆「Sieg Heil」 Your Heart Into Ecstasy!!
    ふたなり・ロリ・ナチス・サキュバス・スクアッド~☆あなたの心をエクスタシーへ「ジークハイル」しよ!
  • Pretty sure it's just that people don't have anything to talk about / don't feel like talking.
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

Not only have we all changed and developed other Interests as the years have gone by, but the very reason this community came into existence has passed. Unless we find another purpose soon, which is doubtful considering our changes of Interest and increased amount of life responsibilities, then we may fade into obscurity.

While friendships will be maintained, like Gheiter and myself, along with Kerlc and Karhu, It's going to be hard to avoid any sort of collapse here without a strong, clear goal.

Perhaps we can focus on modding a game or providing a popular resource for that game. But with myself soon starting college, we really just have two months this summer for anything.

Sorry for the rambling post of my stream of consciousness... It's 1:19 AM, and I'm on my phone, unable to fall asleep.
    /(?##~##)/
    i am up for making a game. i can moderate you lot to prevent feature creep and annoy Johnny boy to make him do some actual work on the code.

A minecraft server sounds lovely. this time, we should just toss in some mods and go with it instead of fucking about with additional rules. the ICBM mod is a must.

as far as FTL goes, i can set up a contest, but I would have to consolidate Elm about the prizes. Perhaps some of his twerking- pardon, turking money could go into purchasing a game on Steam for the winner. a small $15-20 game should do it, there is a lot of those about and some of them are quite good.

i have also been working on that Engine Heart setting and I might set up a game after I return from holiday.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao

• i have also been working on that Engine Heart setting and I might set up a game after I return from holiday.
    Do that.
    Engine Heart actually sounds like something we can pull off. It already has the mechanics down, so all we need is the story.

Most of the RPs fail because we just don't have mechanics.

EDIT: Well, well. Looks like NA got some MC Realms.

No mods tho, which is a shame.

• Well the only strong connection I have with any of you is my interest in SCP and that's only with Elm and Mokushi. And Mokushi has sort of stop doing anything here. So just Elm. Bleh.

We could maybe remake a gaming topic to see what games we have in common and do something with that. I've earned a few more multiplayer games since that last topic, including Osu! <3

I'd do it now but lazy & tired. Maybe tomorrow when I am lazy and not tired :I
    "Gas giants don't discriminate. They have gas for everyone." -ASG
    We should make a game. Something small, easy to finish up in a couple of months.

Maybe start doing general gaming together. Skype calls, get on a steam game or something, etc.
    This is still not our universe.
  • We should make a game. Something small, easy to finish up in a couple of months.

Maybe start doing general gaming together. Skype calls, get on a steam game or something, etc.
    Ye, some organisation would help. Group games of various things (GMod mini-games for instance) or Terraria boss raids as a group with our best chars.

Maybe Stranded 3 server or Stranded deep server when they are released ( Stranded 3 should be free and Stranded deep might cost some money since it is greenlit on steam ) .

It would be awesome to make another game .
    russians hitting russians in russia because they are russin'
  • I haven't posted ANYTHING lately. Because well, lately I have never found anything to say in any of the topics. I would like to contribute with something, but well, it's me we are talking about.

If I could help with something, though, I would try. Or at least would like to.

And I know I say this all the time, but I'm busy with University. Finals coming up and planning on getting my driver's license this summer.
    I believe hosting a server that IS NOT community exclusive would be best. We could help grow the community through that. Perhaps we could have uniquely modded servers that allow for an original experience.
    /(?##~##)/
    I believe hosting a server that IS NOT community exclusive would be best. We could help grow the community through that. Perhaps we could have uniquely modded servers that allow for an original experience.
    step no.1: set up a modded minecraft server.
    step no. VERY MUCH LATER: worry about server unique original experiences.

seriously, i am not having any of that overthinking bollocks. if we are doing this, we are doing this one step at a time.

Do make the server more inclusive, but not entirely open because people are assholes.
  • I believe hosting a server that IS NOT community exclusive would be best. We could help grow the community through that. Perhaps we could have uniquely modded servers that allow for an original experience.

seriously, i am not having any of that overthinking bollocks. if we are doing this, we are doing this one step at a time.

Do make the server more inclusive, but not entirely open because people are assholes.
    Best way to do that might be with a "guest" rank where you can walk around but not destroy things.

Best way to do that might be with a "guest" rank where you can walk around but not destroy things.
    ...And for what sort of game would this server be of?
  • I believe hosting a server that IS NOT community exclusive would be best. We could help grow the community through that. Perhaps we could have uniquely modded servers that allow for an original experience.

...And for what sort of game would this server be of?
    Idk, been playing too much MC so I have it on the brain...

dunno, that kinda makes the whole Minecraft experience a bit pointless. what I was thinking of went more along the lines of inviting some friends who aren't a part of TPC.
  • dunno, that kinda makes the whole Minecraft experience a bit pointless. what I was thinking of went more along the lines of inviting some friends who aren't a part of TPC.
    To be baptised in the blood of our forefathers, in Jalern we trust.

• dunno, that kinda makes the whole Minecraft experience a bit pointless. what I was thinking of went more along the lines of inviting some friends who aren't a part of TPC.
    Well I was thinking more along the lines of a greylist server for any game we do. Spectator permissions for people not on the "whitelist" of sorts and the rest of the people able to play.

Not sure inviting friends counts as "expanding". More like fitting more people into the circle :|

Some kind of a simple application form would do it, probably.
    As in, state your name, age, country and possibly email (To further reduce the chance of griefers joining), and write a few sentences about why you want to join, and who you are.
    A small introduction text like that can tell a whole lot about the person who's writing it.

I'm going to make a Space Engineers server once they release dedicated server software.
  • Some kind of a simple application form would do it, probably.
    As in, state your name, age, country and possibly email (To further reduce the chance of griefers joining), and write a few sentences about why you want to join, and who you are.
    A small introduction text like that can tell a whole lot about the person who's writing it.
    Yep, that's what I was thinking.

• Some kind of a simple application form would do it, probably.

I'm going to make a Space Engineers server once they release dedicated server software.
    Space Engineers sounds cool for something like this.
    If we could actually commit to a game project for longer than a few months before an integral member of the team just randomly decides he's bored and quits, then I'd gladly take part. We need something simple that involves as many of us as possible without getting blown massively out of proportion, because that's what went wrong with GoF.

As for activity, I'm just busy lately. Also, I have little to add to most discussions I see here.
  • It seems that the greater majority wants to do Minecraft. Put up a poll so we can decide.
    To establish peace, and destroy the Strange.

Member of Planetoid Community since November 2010.
    It's hard to keep things simple when so many people are involved, though. While lots of playtesters are good, having everyone give their ideas for design creates the whole overbearing-amount-of-features type deal that's killed almost everyone of our past projects.

I'm gonna brainstorm some more ideas. I'd like to use Twine for once... maybe we could setup a semi-serious forum game topic where everyone suggests decisions that can be taken in a given scenario, and a story-master would describe what would happen in those given decisions? Once the game finishes, we can compile it all into a Twine story with fancy fonts and possibly graphics.

For example, I would state a situation / setting, and others would suggest possible actions and choices. Kerlc suggests one decision, and CobaltBlade suggests another. I would then write what happens when that decision is taken for both scenarios. At that point, we have two separate branches. People can then suggest more decisions, and create more story branches. To simplify the process, myself and say, Mokushi could focus on separate branches.
    /(?##~##)/
    there is a very simple method of dealing with an overabundance of ideas. moderating the input and setting reasonable, easily achievable milestones without straying from the projected path too much. might seem limiting, but limits are the birthplace of creativity.

I do not like the suggested plan for development of the twine story. It seems to try and fit the ideas guy, someone who has no place in any creative undertaking anywhere into development just so everyone will get a feeling of involvement. because the way you put it, it sounds like you and Mokushi will be doing most of the work while everyone else will just toss in ideas, most likely leading to either a disjointed narrative when you two try to work it in or omitting or otherwise drastically modifying the input of the person involved.

i think a far more sound and reasonable plan is you and Mokushi work on the narrative both of you agree on with the rest of us serving mainly as testers. there is no way to incorporate everyone into the development process and trying to do so will only cause harm in the long run.
  • Hello all. Sorry I've been very inactive lately. School and work and other items are keeping me busy. I used to have more time in the past when I stayed up late, but that's become harder to do, among other difficulties.

I'll try to be more active, especially if we're planning a game, whether a server or making.
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.
    there is a very simple method of dea --blahblah--
    I agree with Kerlc here.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 0
    A quick reminder: the evolve group still exists. If anyone wants a quick game of warcraft III, PM me.
    On making a game: we should make a platformer. We've never made one before, right? Also, I'm not really into the whole twine thing, so can't comment on that.
    EDIT: I also agree with kerlc, that is indeed, a good idea. We must not forget one thing: we're not a full-fledged dev. studio, but a small online community, and thus we're not people who work as programmers to earn their living. We do it out of our own free time, and many people don't have that. In other words, while in theory, we could have all the positions (the one responsible for sounds, the idea, the story, the programmer guy) filled, it's actually very hard to pull off as we are now.
    On a completely separate, unrelated note, I placed 1st on the astronomy nationals. Yay me!