Features and Benefits of the New Forums

edited April 2014 in Announcements

Features and Benefits

Whether you're a current Planetoid Community member, a returning member, or a brand new one, I have listed below the neat features that are part of the Vanilla Forums software. Besides the best feature of all, which is recent discussions being the default landing page, here is a list of improvements over the old community.

Responsive Design

Vanilla Forums works well on desktop and mobile screens. Resize your window now to see the dynamic changes.

Easily see who is online

Current users with last active time are neatly displayed at the bottom right of the site.

Live Notifications

No need to refresh anymore, or find out that you've been ninja posted: notifications of new posts, PMs, and more all appear in the bottom left corner.

General Notifications

Now you can see the important things you missed during your absence, whether it be a few hours or a few weeks.

Drafts

Not enough time to finish typing that discussion topic? No problem! Just save it as a draft.

Simplified Categories

No need to worry about 150 different boards. Only a few categories now exist for simple yet sufficient organization in addition to the recent discussions cascade.

Bookmark Topics

By clicking the orange star next to a topic, you can bookmark it for future reference and to receive notifications of new posts.

Activity Updates

A small yet simple feature, works very similarly to a simplified Facebook poster or Skype status system.

Activity Feed

Now you can see exactly what's been happening. New members, posts, comments, status updates, badges awarded, and more can be seen on the global activity feed.

Multiperson PM Conversations

PMs between multiple people are now so much simpler! Just add members to the discussion.

Multiquestion Polls

No longer are we limited to one poll question per topic.

Spoilers

Just for you, gravybatter. NOTICE: There is not a spoiler button. You must use [*spoiler*]text[*/spoiler*] to use the spoiler tags, minus the asterisks.

/(?##~##)/

Comments

Additionally, a couple more features:

1) You should now be able to edit your posts. Click on the gear in the top right corner of the post.

2) You can "Sink" discussion topics. From the front page, click on the gear on the right side of the discussion, and select Sink. This will prevent that topic from popping up for you when new posts are made.
    /(?##~##)/
    Lovely stuff, but where are the hookers?
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao
    Please, make it show post count somewhere and transfer it over from the old website.
    I must say, this is all very neat. It'll take some getting used to though.
    Please, make it show post count somewhere and transfer it over from the old website.
    Why would this be necessary?
    This is still not our universe.
  • Yeah, everything looks good, just need some time to get used to all this new stuff.

Because I want to go all "lol nubs" at the new members.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 0

Because I want to go all "lol nubs" at the new members.
    But imagine the glory of the noobs being all like "Pfffft, you joined only like four months ago, nub.", and then you get to prove them wrong.
    This is still not our universe.
    Ummm... I can do this, but I prefer we all start with a fresh slate. If majority disagrees though, I'll change stats.
    /(?##~##)/
  • I'm fine like this. You can just put it in your signature linking to your old account. Not much else needed.
    I'm fine like this. You can just put it in your signature linking to your old account. Not much else needed.
    Spartan is right.
    /(?##~##)/
  • I'm noticing in my post tools some options aren't available than I could use before. These include video references, scrolling text (marquee), tables, code writing, lists (ordered or not), and some more. It says I can use Simple Html. Can this be changed?
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.
    I'm noticing in my post tools some options aren't available than I could use before. These include video references, scrolling text (marquee), tables, code writing, lists (ordered or not), and some more. It says I can use Simple Html. Can this be changed?
    Any HTML should work. While it may not show up in the post preview, it should function properly upon posting. Not many button options are available sadly, but pretty much any HTML markup (maybe not some new HTML5 tags, we'll have to test those) should work.

/(?##~##)/
  • I see. I'll do some testing soon.

Excellent. There's a topic here that I've been using for testing.
    /(?##~##)/
  • Well, it is kind of an interesting way to learn some HTML. I now know how to post images xD
    Well, it is kind of an interesting way to learn some HTML. I now know how to post images xD
    Well that's awesome :D HTML is good to know, and so is CSS. For example, I have about 40 lines of custom CSS running here on the forums that fix a nice slew of positioning and coloring glitches that are part of this theme.

/(?##~##)/
  • Just so it's said, I noticed that I can reference CSS styles the forum uses within my own posts.

Indeed, and it makes sense that referencing those would work. You should also be able to define custom styles.
    /(?##~##)/
  • I've tried, and indeed I can. I'll likely be using that in the future. Also, it states I can use Simple HTML. What other options are there?

I believe just HTML and CSS. Feel free to experiment in that one topic.
    /(?##~##)/
  • All this and more can be yours for the low low price of nine nine, ninety-nine, nine, ninety-five!
    "Gas giants don't discriminate. They have gas for everyone." -ASG
  • All this and more can be yours for the low low price of nine nine, ninety-nine, nine, ninety-five!
    *uses free edition*